Thursday, January 07, 2021

Joy, Continued

In my last post I talked about how music and walking bring me joy, even in turbulent times. Continuing that theme, here are some other things that make me happy, in no particular order.

Art. I took these pictures while out for a mural run through Salt Lake City. I adore how they transform dull grey walls into magical, colorful spaces.





As much as I love these professional murals, I enjoy the impromptu crafts that my kids make just as much. You've already met Talia's covie creations.

But did you know they take over the house?




Annika really enjoys making things as well. She designed these jerseys for an epic soccer match between Team Unicorn and Team Alicorn.

She also came to the rescue when our Christmas tree was clearly underdecorated.


Speaking of Christmas, Annika wrote some fun letters to Santa.  She may not spell well, but she's great at advocating for herself.





Unfortunately for Annie, Santa didn't bring a unicorn or a lizard. That's because we already have the world's best guinea pig.

We love you, Spark!


Food brings me joy, especially when it involves homemade bread and butternut squash soup.


Of course, cookies are pretty good too, especially if you get to lick the beater.


Now that winter is here, I'm pretty excited about skiing as well.  Our first trip up to Brighton was a bit of a fiasco.  Miserable from waiting in long lines in the freezing cold, we took the kids home after only one run.  


Fortunately, Jason, Talia, and I went back the next week and had a fantastic morning.




The snow-capped mountains speak to my soul.








The faces of bliss.




Our neighborhood makes me happy.  The fairy garden nailed it: We are a neighborhood of joy.


Especially during this year of social-distancing, I felt touched by all the kind neighbor gifts.  These gingerbread men hugged my heart.


Brooklyn and Talia were delighted by these knitted headbands from their Young Women leaders.


When I tried to get a decent picture, Talia did a splendid job of being the annoying younger sister.  Brooklyn is less than amused, but the photos are priceless.






This amazing box of treats traveled much farther than through the neighborhood.  It came all the way from my Grandpa and Elaine in Florida.  Thank you!

Sleep brings me joy.  Apparently Brooklyn likes it too.  Zoom school, combined with early morning seminary, can be exhausting.

Annika, on the other hand, sleeps in an enormous nest of blankets and stuffies.  For her, beds are superfluous.


Gotta say, I love photos too.  I have no idea who took these pictures of Annika's stuffed animals (she dresses them), but they made me smile when I found them on my photo roll.






Most of all, I love my family.  Thinking of Jason and our kids, I feel hope for a bright future.
  

3 comments:

Chou said...

thank you for this

Anonymous said...

Yes ... Thank you for sharing more examples of fun, goodness and beauty. I'll try harder to leave national news related to the world's most selfish man out of my comments from now on. So glad you got to the slopes and that people are finding many ways to show love and support for one another. Keep Smiling!

Susie said...

So many delightful pictures! You do such a great job of documenting the “every day” and the joy and beauty of it!