Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Spiky Shoes

We have the most amazing bishop.  (For anyone who might not know, we call the leader of our local church congregation "bishop.")  Instead of scheduling tithing settlements at the church, he offered to come to every family's home if they preferred.  I know that's not possible outside of Utah, but even so, that's definitely going above and beyond.

As soon as Bishop James walked in the door, Annika, in her true quirky style, immediately asked if she could stomp on his foot.  (!)  A bit surprised, he agreed as long as she wasn't wearing spiky shoes, which led to an elaborate conversation all about spikes.

A few days later, we received the following in the mail.  In case you are wondering, he painted the shoes.


Outside of family, this is without a doubt the most tender piece of mail we have ever received.  I am so grateful for this thoughtful man who ministers to each member of our congregation individually...
...even those who are five.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post. Bishops are nearly always amongst my favorite people. They all unselfishly serve many hours per week without monetary compensation, and typically are kind and reliable people. One of the best decisions I ever made, at age 19, was a private covenant to always support my Bishop, in righteousness, throughout my life. These are/were not perfect men, but they all have admirable faith and love. I remember the names of nearly all of my bishops from childhood until age 65: Bishops Davenport, Miskin, Hill, Tucker, Clayton, Sorensen, Knudson, Tousa, Chipman, Mason, Eden, Matthews, Zippy, Worthington, Omer, Chadwell, Bartlett, Huzzey, Keiser, Reid, Jones and Poyer.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to include Bp. Vance Gardner to the list above. I think he served after Bp. Robert Omer.

Susie said...

How thoughtful of him!