Thursday, October 04, 2018

Seattle with Sixteen

While for the most part I enjoy my job, going back to work has significantly changed my life.  I've always been busy keeping up with the house and shuttling the kids all over town, but downtime is basically nonexistent nowadays.  Even more, I've discovered that my eyes get tired from staring at a computer screen throughout the day.  Before, it felt like a luxury to sit down for an hour with a laptop.  Now it's optically fatiguing.  As such, I think I need to change the way I blog.  While I don't want to stop chronicling our travels and day to day adventures, I think I need to shorten my descriptions.  Although it pains me to publish something unpolished, I really want to spend less time on photos so that I can devote more time to writing.  There are so many ideas in my head that I want to develop, but I usually push them aside in order to catch up on the travelogue.

No more.

Here's the visual story of our trip to Washington, shared with brevity.

If you drive from Salt Lake to Washington, the first ten hours of you drive will likely be boring.  But then...the beauty!

While Annika and I had seen the Wilhoit's new home, Jason and the rest of the kids were so excited to spend cousin time in Edgemont.  Plus, our Lithuanian family was waiting for us as well!


There's a happy uncle.

With nine kids and eight adults, we were definitely a crowd.  Tui accommodated us all amazingly well.  Thanks to Callie, Adam, and NomiAnn for all of the delicous meals.

We spent a lovely day playing tourist in Seattle.  Our first adventure was the Bremerton ferry.  Isn't the Harborside Fountain Park fun?

Eila and Annika, planning our route.

We looked for whales but didn't spot any.

We did, however, spot a sloth.  Meet Sparky, on loan to us from the Salt Lake City Public Library.  We chronicled his adventures in Seattle and sent the photos back.


Better than any sloth is our cute baby Anders.

Look who those big smiles are for.

Lina coaxes a grin from Vytis.

Hugs from Liepa make Annie smile.

Liepa's a natural with Anders as well.

Seattle skyline.  Just wish you could have all seen the amazing dance party we had as we drew close.

Stroller blockade at Pike's Place.

Annika, please remove your finger from your nose.

Guess she got it.

Talia makes a donation to the gum wall. 

Requisite photo with the Pike's Place Market pig.

Getting everyone on is a definite struggle!

Waiting in line for Pike's Place Chowder.

Definitely worth the wait.


This is why I love Washington.

Plus, their public spaces are delightful. 

A fussball table unites a couple of Washingtonians, a Lithuanian, and a Utahn.  Inspiring.

Papa Kay builds with Eila and Annie...

The big girls play Connect Four...


...while the big boys battle at table tennis.


Meanwhile, NomiAnn and Lina chat,...

...and keep track of the strollers.

Our next stop was the Seattle Center.  The playground is top-notch.

Sparky gives it two claws up.


It's also the perfect place for a nap.


Of course, why sleep when you can eat oreos instead?

While the kids played, Callie, Lina, and I explored the Chihuly Garden and Glass.  So inspiring.











Our visit may have only lasted an hour, but it was the perfect girls' getaway.

Heading back to gather our babes.

Our last stop was the International Fountain.  While we might have splashed more on a hot day, it was still delightful to watch the kids (and adults) interact.

Brooklyn joins the selfie generation.

Looks like Annie got a little too close.


Callie and I wanted a sister photo but ended up with a photo bomber.

All in all, a remarkable Seattle day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A spectacular day in the Emerald City! We were also blessed to readily find parking for three cars in the same place.