Monday, June 18, 2018

Happy Father's Day, Papa Kay!

I'm in a happy place right now.  I'm in Omaha, snuggled in a blanket on my parents' living room floor.  Outside, thunder rumbles and rain streams down in torrents, but I am warm and dry.  Oh, and did I mention alone?  Annika, Eli, Jason and my Dad are at a College World Series game, presumably sheltering through the rain delay.  Brooklyn and Talia are shopping with my Mom, having helped her at Central all morning.  And me?  This introverted soul is relishing a bit of quiet time.  I just finished a good book and took a short nap.  Life's heavenly.

We arrived in Omaha late Saturday night, just in time for Father's day.  Just in case you needed any evidence of how amazing my father is, may I submit the following photo as proof:  
Late one Monday evening in April, our family heard a knock as we were wrapping up Family Home Evening.  As the kids ran to answer the door, I heard ecstatic squeals of "Papa Kay!  Papa Kay!"  Believe it or not, my father was standing on the threshold, having driven all the way from Omaha, Nebraska.

Papa Kay came to watch Eli race the car they built together in the Pinewood Derby.  Aren't these gentlemen adorable?  In a family dominated by x-chromosones, I'm glad these guys have each other.

Nothing says Cub Scouts like silly/gross skits.

Eli's car may have finished in the middle of the pack, but we couldn't be prouder of his top-notch effort and attitude in scouting.

While the Pinewood Derby was happening, I slipped downstairs and crashed the 27th ward's cake decorating activity, led by my good friend Kalleen.  Didn't the cakes turn out prettily?  Plus, what a tasty way to celebrate the derby and Papa Kay's visit.

Little did Papa Kay know that he would arrive in time to hear Talia perform with her school orchestra as well.  She's doing great on the violin!  In fact, her orchestra teacher asked her to stand up front and lead half the musicians as they performed Pachelbel's Canon.

Papa Kay also got plenty of time with Annika while the big kids were in school or at choir rehearsal.  Here they are at Temple Square enjoying the flowers after preschool.

Smells like spring!

Yes, such beauty makes me want to dance too, Annie.

We dropped by Wheeler Farm to see the baby animals.

This baby calf was just two days old.


The lambs were pretty precious as well.


We joked with Annika about how she should eat this turkey for Thanksgiving.  Imagine our surprise when she readily agreed.

Real girls drive green tractors.

Go Cornhuskers!

Next on the agenda: puzzle time at the park.

Last but not least, Papa Kay took Eli to Thanksgiving Point for the ultimate day of fun.  They enjoyed the tulip festival at Ashton Gardens...

...played at the Museum of Natural Curiosity,

...admired the Museum of Ancient Life,

...and explored Farm Country.

Plus, they ate at Firehouse Subs.  It really doesn't get any better.

Happy Father's Day, Papa Kay!  You make it so delightful to "Keep Smiling!"
Bye bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a fun trip — well worth the 2000 mile drive!