Thursday, November 11, 2010

Snow Canyon Half Marathon 2010

A belated update--Jason and I successfully navigated the Snow Canyon Half Marathon on Saturday. (Sorry to be slow with the pictures, but I got my hands on the last two books in the Hunger Games series--gotta have priorities, ya know.)

We were really fortunate to have Grandpa Charles and Grandma Susie come to watch our kids so that Jason and I could enjoy the race together. It felt like a date as we held hands during the bus ride up to the drop-off point--except for the worrisome realization that we'd somehow have to run all 13 miles back.

As for the actual race, we got off to a bit of a late start, literally, due to a shortage of porta-potties at the starting line. But hey, some things just can't wait. Despite being at the back of the pack, the first miles were my favorite as Jason and I ran together. Such a great view (and the mountains were nice, too.) :) After about four miles, we separated with a kiss at the mouth of Snow Canyon so that we could each settle into our own groove. The race excitement and downhill slope tempted me to run much faster than I could sustain, so I put on my headphones and some easy listening to get into the "zone" and find a maintainable pace. Meanwhile, Jason shot off to the front.

The best surprise was waiting on the other side of the canyon--the cutest cheering squad ever. :) Race or no, I had to stop and give these blonde cuties a squeeze.


Brooklyn joined me as a running partner for a nice stretch.

It was then up to me to push through the final miles. Miles 8 through 12 were great--the weather was perfect, I was well-hydrated, and the course was familiar. The last mile, on the other hand, was tough. The shortage of training definitely caught up with me. Thanks to Jason, however, I kept pushing through. Here's the hero, finishing his own race in just under 1:45 (a fabulous time, especially when you remember he ran the first four miles slowly with me.)

After pausing to catch his breath, Jason then turned around, walked back, and reran the final stretch with me. This demonstration of love would be heartwarming under any circumstance, but it was particularly remarkable since he was suffering from a horrible leg cramp. Thanks, PB.

The very last lap around the track was up to me alone. It was torturous. If it looks like I hurt, the truth was worse.

Fortunately, all pain was forgotten as I crossed the finish line. Between the endorphin high and yummy assortment of treats, I found myself pondering a full marathon in just minutes.

The next morning, however, reality set back in. Jason and I both suffered a case of majorly sore legs. We were hilariously pathetic to watch as we winced, moaned, and groaned each time we tackled the stairs. (I finally decided to follow Eli's example by going down the stairs backwards since it was less painful that way.) Subsequently, a new family rule ensued--no more running marathons without training.

Thankfully, our legs have recovered, and the Snow Canyon Half Marathon is a fabulous memory. My hope is that it will become an annual tradition. Thanks to gravity's help on a downhill course, my final time was faster than I anticipated--2:00:20. Perhaps with a little more training and a little less chatting with the girls, I could actually break the two hour mark. And perhaps, just perhaps, this positive race has whet my appetite enough to tackle the full beast of a marathon.

8 comments:

Susie said...

You can do it, you can do it!! Before you know it your children will be joining you in the training and running. You both are setting a great example--and remember Brooklyn's "flag poster"---"I love to run." You both did an awesome job!

Julie L said...

I am so super impressed! With both of you! As I am totally done in by running 1/8 of a mile, your achievement means a ton to me! Way to go, both of you! I agree with Susie. You can do the full marathon, if you survived the half. But I'm not sure how you train for a full one. Who has time to run 26 miles every day? Love the pictures!

Tanja said...

I admire you both your devotion!!!

Bruce Richards said...

Ah...I wish I were there. We'll have to come run it with you if it becomes an annual tradition. If I knew we were going to be living in Illinois next May, I'd sign up for the Illinois half-marathon again.

candice said...

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment, I don't think I could even run a mile right now! Good job, and best of luck with all the training for a full marathon!!

Brittney Richards said...

I'm impressed. I know I wouldn't be in good enough shape to run a half marathon without training.

Brianna said...

Congrats!

Justin said...

Great job! Hopefully we will have a whole bunch of runners descending on your house next October...