Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Reclaiming My Life

This evening I got an unexpected update via my Mom about the whereabouts of a good high school friend. We haven't made contact in years, so it was fun to discover that we've lead somewhat parallel lives. For example:

He is married, so am I.
He went on to pursue an advanced degree, as did I.
He has four kids, we have three (notable, since he's neither LDS nor Catholic.)
His eldest is attending a Spanish kindergarten, as is ours.
His wife is primarily a stay-at-home-Mom, just like myself.
In the evenings, his wife works as the editor of a well-known science magazine.

And me? I run the PTA Mileage Club.

For the past month, this volunteer commitment has monopolized my life, commandeered my spare time, sapped my energy, and infiltrated my dreams. It has robbed my children of their naptimes, playtimes, and storytimes. And don't even ask about the state of my house...

But enough is enough. At long last, I am reclaiming my life.

It's really not my intent to dis the PTA nor parental involvement at school. Both are valuable and important. In fact, I still believe that a Mileage Club is a splendid idea, increasing students' physical and emotional health by promoting movement and activity.

What I have learned, however, is to be much more scrutinizing before making commitments. When a volunteer was needed to take over the Mileage Club, it was so easy to jump in with an "I'll do it!" Little did I realize that it would require my physical presence at school every day, with two young children in tow. I should have paid attention to the fact that Mileage Club overlaps with both lunchtime and naptime, leaving aforementioned children particularly hungry and tired. I should have noted that Mileage Club requires recruiting lots of extra help--a job that's tough to accomplish when you 1) absolutely hate asking for favors and 2) don't know anyone in the area. Heck, I should have noticed that Mileage Club doesn't even involve kindergartners, meaning that despite the many hours spent at school, my own daughter felt quite forgotten and neglected.

Don't get me wrong. I still long to volunteer in meaningful ways. I just hope to be more discerning about the ways in which I commit my limited time, talents, and resources. There's a season for everything; in retrospect, this probably wasn't the best time to run a Mileage Club.

Fortunately, Mileage Club is now officially over, and I am officially reclaiming my life. After a difficult past month, I feel the need to trigger my physical and emotional "restart" button. What better way to accomplish this than by clocking some miles of my own?

So, despite an alarming lack of training and a profound absence of good judgment, I've decided to run the Snow Canyon Half Marathon on Saturday. Fortunately, the course is all downhill, the scenery should be breathtaking, and my hubby will be running with me. I'm hoping these positive factors will somehow compensate for my inactivity over the past three weeks.

At the very least, this Half Marathon will represent a new beginning. I'm looking forward to a fresh start (and a life where I am defined by more than a PTA Mileage Club.)

To remember the positive, however, here are some photos of Dixie Sun Elementary's Mileage Club Finale. As a school, we originally hoped to walk enough miles to stretch from St. George to the Statue of Liberty. In the end, we fell short of Manhattan, New York but had plenty of miles to reach Manhattan, Kansas.

I never dreamed I'd catch my daughter's principal wearing our shower curtain...

An honorary lap around the track with Liberty himself.

I was very impressed by Mr. Porter's great attitude, seizing the opportunity to teach about freedom right before election day.

For those coming to America, that first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty symbolized hope, opportunity and a fresh start. Here's to new beginnings!

5 comments:

Julie L said...

Kara, I hear your frustration, but do keep in mind the positives that came from your involvement. You may never know the good things that came because you gave. And be ever so careful about comparing yourself to others. Your life as anything else will never bring the same compensation as that of being a good and righteous Mom. I promise you that, knowing the feelings you're going through right now because I've been there, too. If I could go back in time, the one thing I would change would be to have enjoyed being a stay-at-home Mommy more. You're doing a great job and hooray for that! If headlines were full of the successes that really mattered, your name would be at the top of the page!

Susie said...

I'm sending hugs long distance--but soon to be in person!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Milkweed ... from my vantage point you are doing fine. A perspective check / reminder is in order: You have lived in So. Utah less than three months. You have managed through unanticipated family illnesses. You have already done much to make your house a home. You have endured unexpected car repair issues. You are giving back to others as a wife and mommy ... in addtion to your church callings and PTA as well as you can. + other things I don't know about.

I found the following anonymous quote in my 7000+ quote bank. I'm pleased you took a risk on "the mileage club" and that you have the character to step-up and participate ... It is what makes you a good wife and mom, as well as a dependable volunteer:

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."

[By the way ... the man you dressed in the shower curtain and primitive Statue of Liberty costume must also have a very strong heart ... he is a good sport, but he gets paid to be one.]

Finally, take comfort in the best part of what Lady Liberty symbolizes: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free ... I lift my lamp beside the golden door (Dixie sun)" ... or something like that. Keep smiling!

Chou said...

Good luck Saturday! I understand about taking on more than one can chew through a lack of careful scrutiny, but am glad that your community benefited. That said, I'm extra glad that you actually are done!

Bruce Richards said...

An important lesson in life is that you can't do everything.

Mr. Porter has some resemblence to an anonymous perosn I know.

I look forward to hearing about the half marathon!