Saturday, October 30, 2010

Since You've Been Gone...

Jason, it's been twenty hours since you left to go camping with the 11 year-old Scouts.

Since you've been gone, I've:

- completely neglected our children so I could finish reading The Hunger Games. While I got Brooklyn to her Girl Scout Halloween party and Talia to the Sand Hollow "Boonanza," I served Mac 'n Cheese for dinner, let the kids stay up late watching a movie, and cut storytime short just so that I could finish my book.

Since you've been gone, I've been seriously punished for my neglect. I've:

- doubled as a pacifier for a cranky, teething one year-old with a missing binky.
- been roused every half-hour by a sick 3 year-old who needed help wiping thanks to awful diarrhea.
- been woken once again by this sound of this same 3 year-old retching. (I still feel guilty for practically shoving her off our bed in an effort to protect our brand-new mattress. The mattress was saved, but unfortunately a pillow, our bedspread, some clothes, and the carpet were not so lucky.)
- come downstairs and discovered a thousand ants crawling all over our kitchen table because I didn't clear the dishes. (Thanks to Susie Squirt for arming me well in the ensuing massacre.)
- wiped more bottoms and helped my poor daughter with yet more throw-up.
- battled with this same poor daughter for nearly an hour, begging her to take the antibiotic for her ear infection. I lost the battle. (Can't really blame her for not wanting it, especially if it's what's making her sick. Still, the first antibiotic was ineffective, and we're desperate to help her get better! )
- opened the girls' bedroom door, and discovered this. Fortunately no one was hurt, but we're waiting for you to help right the damage.

Gotta go, because Eli's blubbering and Talia's calling once again from the bathroom: "I'm doooone." Wish you were here!

8 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, oh, ooooh. So sorry that you are dealing with this all on your own. At least you got to finish your book, right? (I am waiting for my reserved copy of the Hunger Games to be available at the library.)

Erin Gibbons said...

Wow, I'm so sorry! We all have those neglecting the children moments, (well, at least I do, so there are at least two of us! I thought I was the only one, however.) It always seems the children get sick when the husband is away in our Home. We'll pray for you and your little ones!

Julie L said...

Heart goes out with total empathy to you. Glad no one was hurt. And Jason's got to know he was very missed! Hope the 3 yr old is better soon and nobody else comes down with it.

candice said...

Wow! What a mess. Isn't it fun being a mom without a husband? In all seriousness, I'm so sorry it has been so crazy at your house. It is always hard when the kids are sick (and you are not sleeping). You are doing a great job! Don't worry your other half will be home soon.

Susie said...

I've heard "The Hunger Games" is a great book. Maybe I'll have to try it (especially since I know most of my children won't put me through what you've been through--not to say they haven't, however!) Amazing what can happen in a short period of time. I'm glad he made it home o.k. Hopefully things are improving. We love you!!

Ashlee said...

Oh NO! When it rains it pours...

Tanja said...

Ich denke an Dich!!!

Megan Ficek said...

I've read the Hunger Games series. So I completely understand what happened here. :)