Friday, July 25, 2008

The Degree That Never Ends

After a very busy past couple of weeks, I'm finally coming up for air. I just submitted my final project for my last MATESL course (ESL teaching), which means I should be all done, right?

Wrong. This feels like the degree that never ends. Three years ago I completed a graduate certificate in TESOL at BYU and thought that I was all done. When it came time to actually look for a job, however, I realized that most of the jobs I was interested in required an MA, so it was back to school at UIUC.

When April rolled around, I felt like I was done again when I passed my comprehensive exams. Still, I endured through final course exams in May.

Even though I had mentally checked out by this point and was dreaming of mortar boards, I still had one more elective class. And so, I've endured an intensive month of an online course through Curriculum and Instruction, participated in the virtual classes, and submitted my final project.

It sure feels like I ought to be done! But alas, even though 90% of the course grade has been submitted, there's still a measly reflection paper that can't be completed until I do the thing to be reflected upon--which can't happen until the end of August. Talk about anti-climactic!

Maybe this is what they mean by perpetual education...

2 comments:

Jason said...

Kara,

Perpetual Education it is. Now, if only we could find somebody to fill in the "Fund" part...

Anyway, way to go on finishing your last project (well, almost last that is...). I know how much thought and effort you have put into your education here, and am so impressed with everything you've accomplished.

P.B.

Chou said...

You're almost there . . . :)

Thank you so much for your help this weekend! Now just to give you a virtual hug and hi-five!