Tuesday, February 13, 2018

RSBC Week 1

When Christy blogged about Run Swim Bike Cook celebrating ten years, she posed an interesting question: what has changed for you over the past decade?  Ten years ago, life was crazy, but good.  Jason and I were both in graduate school at the U of I, swapping children on campus between morning and afternoon classes.  Brooklyn was three, Talia was one, and my sanity was questionable.  We lived in a small two bedroom townhouse overlooking the Illinois cornfields.  When chipping away at ice on cold winter mornings, we definitely wished we had a garage.  I rarely ran, never swam, and only occasionally biked up to the U of I campus.  Presumably I cooked, at least some.  (I found evidence of some green Irish soda bread baked in honor of St. Patty's Day.)

Ten years later, and life is still crazy; life is still good.  Eli and Annika have joined our family.  Three year-old Brooklyn is now a teenager.  I'm far less sleep-deprived, but my sanity still wavers.  Jason once again hangs out in studio class on campus, but this time as the instructor.  We've swapped prairie plains for mountain peaks.  Instead of renting a townhouse, we own a home, although that garage is still missing.  Over the past decade, I've come to identify as a runner.  Thanks to RSBC, I think I'm a stronger swimmer as well.  I still rarely bike, but maybe if I keep going, that love will come next.  And cook?  Well, I still do it, mostly because my children insist on being fed.  Funny how that works.

This year I am approaching Run Swim Bike Cook from a different angle.  In the past, I've viewed the challenges as a measuring stick and occasionally felt disappointed when I fell short.  This year, I'm celebrating every little success, let the tallies land where they may.  My victory is squeezing exercise and good nutrition of any form into our extremely crowded lives.

So here's what I have to celebrate:

Run/Walk: 11 miles.  Even though I'm capable of running, this year I'm counting any time I squeeze in extra steps, whether walking to church or strolling up snowy Millcreek canyon with Annika while the big kids are at choir practice. 
I'm realizing that if daily exercise is going to be a permanent part of my life, I need to abandon the notion that if I don't get sweaty, it doesn't count.

Swim:  1.85 miles.  I've finally figured out how to swim freestyle without drowning.  Hallelujah!  During my first RSBC, I had to switch strokes every lap because I would get so winded.  While I'm not fast, I'm grateful that I now can swim longer distances.

Bike: 3 laps around Liberty Park, or 4.5 miles.  Not far, but hey, I dusted off the bike and bike trailer, got the tires pumped up, and actually got outside.  Annika and I had fun, and we're looking forward to getting out again.

Cook:  Okay, here's where I'm stretching it.  We made marzipan...sort of.  Technically, we just shaped and decorated it.  I went to a Relief Society activity where a woman shared her mother-in-law's marzipan recipe, made from almond paste, corn syrup, marshmallow fluff, and copious amounts of confectioner's sugar.  There was lots left over, so I took some home to enjoy with the kids.  Honestly, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for not making my own batch from scratch.  After all, there's only so much sugar that needs to be consumed in the world.

These are the treats I made.  As you can see, I went for a Very Hungry Caterpillar Theme.

Talia echoed the same idea.


As for Brooklyn, she went to town with the cloves and made a hedgehog.

Eli made a food face...

...and an owl.

Last but not least, our Annika made an island with a purple snake (of course.)

Since I didn't have to do any of the hard work mixing, kneading or coloring the dough, the marzipan-making experience was delightful.  After all, who doesn't love edible play-dough?  I confess that marzipan holds a special place in my heart.  Not only is it delicious, but it was a pretty integral part of my culinary experience as an exchange student in Austria.  I will never forget receiving an ornate Glücksschwein (good luck pig) for New Year's, and feeling it was too precious to eat.

I did a tiny bit of background research on almonds and discovered that sunny California is by far the largest producer, with Spain and Italy following behind.  The Middle East grows a fair number of almonds, and Germany is the largest importer.  Must be because of all those marzipan pigs to be made.

Next week, I'd like to get a bit more adventuresome and try making some Korean food in honor of the Olympics.  I found this post from a decade ago, reminding me how Talia and I once ate duk guk with my Korean students for the lunar New Year.  As the Chinese New Year happens to be this Friday, I think it's time to try duk guk once more. 

No comments: