Monday, May 23, 2022

Easter 2022 with NomiAnn and Papa Kay

I'm having a moment of crisis. This morning Brooklyn and I had a debate about whether or not there should be one space or two between sentences. I've always insisted that there be two, so I googled it, hoping to prove my point.  Instead, a 2011 article by Slate informed me that "typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong." A 2014 article from the Cult of Pedagogy was entitled "Nothing Says Over 40 Like Two Spaces after a Period." Then in 2020 Microsoft Word shifted to the dark side and started identifying double spaces as an error. APA, MLA, and Chicago Style all agree.

I concede defeat. Apparently two spaces after a sentence is an outdated relic stemming from monospaced typewriters. It will be difficult, but I will try to keep up with the times and kick the habit. First, however, may I ask--what the heck is wrong with being over 40? I take umbrage at the implication that being older implies being flawed. 

To me, using two spaces after a sentence signified a careful consideration of the written word. It was the mark of being well-educated and proper. I liken it to the generations ahead of me who possess a beautiful written script. Handwriting then was visual evidence of being cultivated. My script may not be lovely, but at least I know how. As for the current generation, they aren't even taught how to write in cursive. Which I guess brings us back round to the double space. While this practice once enhanced the visual appeal and legibility of text, it no longer does so. As the wife of a visual designer, I'm willing to abandon the deeply ingrained practice because of aesthetics. But wow. The concession hurts.

On to lighter topics, Easter! My parents drove out from Nebraska to spend this lovely holiday together. On Good Friday, we met up at Wheeler Park for some playtime and a picnic.


Papa Kay felt right at home with this Cornhusker.

Every boy loves a good tractor.



Nothing says Easter like dying eggs. Thanks to the avian flu, eggs are a special commodity right now.



Brooklyn likes deviled eggs best.

This year the Easter bunny brought way too much candy.  The kids didn't complain.


Annika made some fun games for us to play.  This is a rabbit target for our Easter poppers.

Pin the Ear on the Bunny.


Morning hugs before church.  Grandparents are the best!  It's remarkable that NomiAnn and Papa Kay are willing to drive such a long distance just to be with us.


Enjoying a breakfast bake of lemon curd and cream-cheese filled croissants.  Talk about decadent!

Our Easter Sunday was beautiful.  Here we are walking home from church with our neighbor Lucy.

Before long, it was time for dinner.  We found a fun recipe for bunny rolls.


An Easter puzzle, followed by a trip to Temple Square to see the flowers.



They've come a long way on the temple, but there's certainly a long way to go still.


Last but not least, an Easter Egg hunt at Reservoir Park.  Apparently you are never too old to search for chocolate.  In fact, Talia was tripping all over herself in the excitement.



Papa Kay and NomiAnn, once again, we thank you so much for coming out to spend time with us.  It's a long road between Omaha and Salt Lake, but the time together is precious.  We love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I much prefer two spaces between sentences as well. However, I’ve also been told it is a “generational issue.” Since I’m nearly 70, I could probably ride out this now discredited double space adjustment, but ever the polite conformist, I too bow to the unenlightened “single-space between sentences” practice of the unwashed hoards. 😉 However … Please let me have a last laugh … use double spaces between sentences in my obituary, just for old times sake. That said, I’d really prefer to not die at all … the change to immortality in “the twinkle of an eye” is a beautiful option … heck, I’d even be delighted with two quick twinkles. 😉

Anonymous said...

Correction: change “hoards” to “hordes” in the above entry. Keep Smiling!