Sunday, March 06, 2022

Winter Hiking

This past month we've lamented how February has been really dry in the valley.  Just yesterday I told the kids that we needed to do a yard cleanup since all the snow had melted, revealing old leaves and muck that had been buried beneath the drifts.

Well, too late.  I should have acted when I had the chance.  Last night it DUMPED and I suspect it will be a good while before I see our lawn again.  In truth, I'm thrilled.  We desperately need the moisture, plus it makes for better skiing on the slopes.

This winter I've discovered that snow covered trails are great for hiking as well.  A couple years ago I purchased a knock-off brand of Yaktrax, but didn't enjoy them because they kept slipping off my shoes.  This year I figured out how to attach them with mini-bungee cords and voila! That little bit of extra traction on my sneakers has opened a world of trails.

Here I am exploring Desolation Peak up Millcreek Canyon.




A second adventure up the same trail.  Here you can see my wonky traction devices.


Look closely and you'll see how the stitching is coming undone on my shoes.  Sigh.  It's always something!

My favorite winter hike was up to Lake Blanche.  Not only was it stunning, but the trail was blissfully uncrowded.  I passed a grand total of seven hikers the entire way.


The aspens are beautiful all year round.


Nearing the lake.  The buried signs always make me laugh.


A sunny welcome!  Part of me really wanted to walk out over the frozen water, but the wiser part of me decided that probably wasn't the best idea.



The view looking back down the valley.  It was a snowy hike back, but definitely worth the journey.


Closer to home, hiking along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail was less successful.  Talk about a muddy mess!  It's hard to see, but my sneakers are caked with a good three inches of muck.  The question is, why didn't I just turn around?


When biking up City Creek a few days later, the trail was dry until I got to the spot where they stopped plowing.  Then I had no choice but to turn back!


Some more pictures from morning runs around the neighborhood:  the Capitol, some of the surrounding trails, and Memory Grove.



I used to consider outdoor running and trails "closed" once the snow hit.  I'm glad to have learned with some preparation and the right equipment, they can be accessible all year round.

2 comments:

michelle said...

Last week I did my longest winter hike (RI style--no mountains, just hills around a lake) really not that long at 3.6 miles--but when you are going through ice and snow it feels longer. I think something like Yaktrax definitely would have been helpful. I did enjoy the solitude and white snow contrast with the clear sky.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. ... The smiley face drawn in the snow brought a smile to my face as well. "Keep Smiling"