Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Genuinely Love Lake George

I started my new job today.  While it was good, it felt quite a bit like trying to drink from a fire hydrant.  One thing's for sure--life is only going to get busier, if that's even possible.  And so, please forgive me if these posts contain minimal text.  These memories are so precious to me that I want to save them, even when I lack eloquence.

The day following our Manhattan trip we packed up and headed upstate to Lake George.  Aren't these cousins cute traveling together?  (Just don't ask about the return trip when Annika got super car sick, causing Eila to gag as well.)

Getting away from Long Island wasn't as easy as we initially hoped.  On our way back from the city, a check engine light popped on in my parents' minivan.  In the end, the van spent the morning with a mechanic, having its catalytic converter replaced.  Alesia also had some unexpected challenges wrapping up her school year.  Despite the stress, she arrived in Lake George with a smile and entertained all of the kids with her darling dress/hat.

The weather was a bit drizzly and overcast, but we headed to Yankee Marina to rent a boat anyway.  It goes without saying that we all deeply miss my Uncle Jay, especially when spending time in Lake George, the place he loved so much.  Still, I think he would be pretty happy to see Greg driving the boat now.  It's pretty special to see the generations circle.  The only thing that would make the scenario more authentic would be if the boat were broken down.

Gray skies can't keep our cutie Eila from smiling.

The skies cleared later the next day and the weather was beautiful for the rest of our stay.  The yellow house seemed happy to be filled with people and puppies.

Look out world!  Papa Kay's in charge.


NomiAnn is in her happy place on the water.

Taking the bow: Talia, Eli, and Brooklyn

And in the stern: Eila and Annika.

Back at the lake house, the most amazing surprise awaits:

Star Wars pancakes!  Hello yoda.

Meet Darth Vader.  (FYI, there's a storm trooper coming up behind.)

Talia's interpretation of a vader face.

Phones and water don't mix, so I don't have many pictures of the next phase, but his one sums it up.  Water skiing!!!  Thanks to the patient tutelage of Katelyn and Alesia, as well as Greg's great driving, Brooklyn, Talia, and Eli were all up on skis.  I was so proud them for sticking with it.  I just love the look of exhilaration on Eli's face.  His ride may not have lasted for long, but it was sure worth it.

Just for the record, this ol' body of mine can still ski as well.  It took me a few tries to get up slalom, and I wasn't very graceful outside of the wake, but I didn't break any bones either.  Success!

In addition to waterskiing, most everyone tubed as well.   Annika wasn't a huge fan, but Eila loved it!  If anyone has a tubing photo, send it my way and I'll share it.

We did our best to squish as many people on the boat as we could, but space was limited, especially with all the skis and tubes.

Fortunately there was all sorts of fun to be had on shore.


Here's Talia following Annie's footsteps by painting rocks.


I'm not sure how well Papa Kay is watching Eila on the dock, but lifeguard NomiAnn is all over it.  (And yes, NomiAnn really has been a lifeguard.)

Who needs a gym?  Brooklyn's come up with her own style of weight training.

Perhaps the rocks are protecting the dribble castles?

Big cousins make every playtime better, right Eila?  Jeanette and Katelyn had the magic touch.

While most of the group went out tubing, Annika stayed behind to fish.

We didn't have any nightcrawlers so she went into the kitchen to get her own bait.  Apparently her arms made the best bait holders.

She may not have caught any fish, but we had lots of fun trying.  Personally, I was kind of glad the fish weren't hungry since Annika was so eager to eat any fish we caught.  She's wanted trout ever since she ate the morsel Aunt Christy fixed in Brian Head.  However, I didn't want to clean her fish, nor can I replicate Christy's amazing delicacy.


Boat's back.  Yay for a great day on the lake.


The next morning Talia and I got up early to go on a training run for Launch Team. (She's running the Big Cottonwood half in a couple of weeks.)  While getting out of bed may be hard, I think everyone should experience the serenity of the lake early in the morning.

Running down the trail is way more fun than running up.

Time for a big rest.

The day was fresh yet familiar: more tubing, more waterskiing, more relaxation on the waterfront.


NomiAnn worked out the perfect system with Eila.

I count eight cousins, plus Addy in this picture.  Yup, Lake George is awesome.

Katelyn and Eli in design/build mode.

Castle looks great.


Here's Jeanette hanging with Eila.

Addy joins the fun.  (At least I think that's Addy who likes to swim.  Sometimes I get him confused with Rondack.)

Here are the brothers together--happy and friendly as always.

Papa Kay, taking in all the fun.


And me, in my happy place too.  I wish such moments could last forever.

On our last evening, we lit a bonfire for s'mores.

Here's Alesia helping Eila to roast hers golden brown.  Check out the tiny s'more camp chairs!

Yup, they were tasty.

Fireworks from the dock and it was the perfect ending.
 To our very favorite Wells family, thanks so much for welcoming us once again to the lake.  Even though it may be miles away, it always feels a bit like coming home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lake George is known as the Queen of American Lakes fora good reason. It never fails to inspire. The water is always so clear and the Wells lake house is so comfortable. Thank you so much Janet!