Saturday, July 21, 2018

A New Job

Well, last Sunday I posted that I was in a quandary about what do with my days next year.  Late Sunday night I went ahead and filled out an application with West high school.  Monday morning I received a phone call about an interview the next day.  Tuesday morning I interviewed, Tuesday afternoon I received a job offer, and Wednesday morning I accepted it.  Dizzying.  I'm reminded of the story of the boy who gets bitten by a snake.  The snake responds, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."  Next year I will be West's CAS coordinator/IB Assistant.  (CAS is the service learning component of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.)  Brooklyn was so very sweet when I told her about the job once she got home from camp.  She said, "Mom, this makes me so happy!  I think it's really cool that you and Dad both have jobs that involve helping people."  Aw, tender moments don't come all the time, so I will soak up the joy while I can.

For me personally, the decision wasn't quite as joyful, at least right at first.  The option of having some weeks, even a couple months at home with all of the kids in school was so appealing.  I wanted a moment to pause and ponder what I really want to do with my life.  I dreamed of getting the house organized, going on hikes, taking long bike rides, trail running, skiing, volunteering at the kids' schools, dusting off my french horn, reading a book.  I still dream of these things.

Instead, it's going to be busy.  I'm scheduled to work more hours than I did as a preschool para, although they have offered me some flexibility with when I work and even how much.  It's going to be a challenge to keep up with my job, the house, plus all of our extracurriculars.  A few things may have to go by the wayside, and that's okay.

On the positive side, I'm starting to feel genuinely excited about the opportunities this job will bring.  From everything I've heard and seen, the IB Coordinator Shannon will be fantastic to work with.  I love the idea of working specifically with CAS and forming some connections with different service organizations in our community.  I look forward to meeting with IB students personally and getting a better understanding of what Interrnational Baccalaureate at West is all about.  Most of all, I'm excited to become invested at West during this opportune time when Brooklyn is there and the other munchkins will likely follow.

With all that said, someday, someday, I'm going to take a break just for me.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Well, you knew what I was when you picked me up too, but you still did it. Hopefully you don’t regret that decision too much, 15 years later. You’ll do wonderfully at West and will have a positive impact on many students I’m certain. So proud of you Kara!