Monday, March 29, 2010

Happy Birthday, PB

May these vows and this marriage be blessed.
May it be sweet milk, like wine and halvah.
May this marriage offer fruit and shade like the date palm.
May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day a day in paradise.
May this marriage be a sign of compassion, a seal of happiness, here and hereafter.
May this marriage have a fair face and a good name, an omen as welcomes the moon in a clear blue sky.
I am out of words to describe how spirit mingles in this marriage.

(Poem by Rumi; Text from Eric Whitacre's choral composition, This Marriage)

Jason turned thirty on Thursday. I've been at a loss as to what to write about my sweet hubby until I pondered these beautiful lyrics at choir rehearsal Saturday morning. It's impossible for me to think about Jason without reflecting on our smiling marriage. After all, it's through nearly seven years of marriage that I've come to really know this amazing man. (Coincidentally, this music was composed in commemoration of Eric Whitacre's seventh wedding anniversary.)

Thanks to a blessed spouse, our marriage has been blessed. It is full of laughter, compassion, happiness--our every day a day in paradise (if you can accept a healthy dose of mess and chaos along with it.) Indeed, I am out of words... words to describe Jason, and words to describe the deep love I feel for him.

And so instead, I'll share some evidence of his love for me. For Valentine's Day, Jason surprised me with a trip to visit my sister and her hubby in Seattle. Instead of choosing a convenient flight for him, he arranged for a direct flight to ease our travel, even though it means driving us all the way to Chicago before the crack of dawn. From Wednesday to Sunday, he's taking on all responsibility for the girls, tackling everything from swim lessons to Easter egg hunts on his own. What's more, this comes at tremendous personal sacrifice. Monetary sacrifice? Definitely. But even more is the sacrifice of time. When he bought the tickets, he knew exactly how intense his schoolwork would be. With less than a month until his final thesis design review, it's hard to imagine a more stressful time. Yet he made the arrangements anyway.

What can you write about a guy like that? I'm out of words to describe...

Happy Birthday, Peanut Butter. :)

5 comments:

Chou said...

Happy Birthday Jason! And have fun in Seattle, Kara.

Susie said...

Ah, how sweet. I just wish I could be there to help out with the girls while you go. We hope you have a wonderful time in Seattle. AND that things go good for Jason at home. You'll be so close it's tempting to take a drive! Except our car's in the shop :(

The Favorite said...

Happy Birthday Jason!!!
I always remember your birthday because it's my dads. We did sing to you, but you probably didn't hear us, maybe you should move to NY and then you can hear us. :)

Bruce Richards said...

Happy Birthday Jason! I'm glad I'm not as old as you. (Then again I'm not as wise either).

Erin Gibbons said...

Happy Birthday! And I was wondering what Calli was up to and if she was married. Tell her hi if she remembers me! I think I only met her at your wedding (where I fell in love with the dress she wore and absolutely had to get it!) and when I stayed at your parents' house one night. They made pancakes for breakfast and went to an earlier Church time for me so that I could go before hitting the road, it was so nice of them! Must be why you're so great too!